Review: Just Dance 2 on the Wii — review — Buy Just Dance Wii

February 28, 2011

Review: Just Dance 2 on the Wii

Review: Just Dance 2 on the Wii

Today I felt like a little change from my planned workout. I felt like I wanted to do some dancing so I busted out Just Dance 2 and busted a move. (I know, I’m a dork.)

This was my first time to do this one, though I’d done the original Just Dance before and enjoyed it (short review here). This one seems even better. I did the “Just Sweat” mode. You can choose how many “sweat” points you want to rack up for the day and then just keep picking songs to dance to until you reach your goal. I picked 1,000, which they call a “Tough Workout” and racked up over 1500 points in an hour of dancing. However, I’m not sure what those points were supposed to be. If it’s supposed to be calories burned, it was way off, because I was wearing my FitBit and it only showed that I burned 300 calories. Still, it was fun to have a goal to work toward and I shook my booty until I got to that goal (and went a bit over).

There are over 40 songs on the Just Dance 2 for Wii (and you can download more, though I’m too cheap to ever do that) and there’s a good variety of pop, electronica, retro stuff, etc. My favorite song was Junior Senior’s “Move Your Feet,” which I did 3 times today. I might like that one because I remember watching the video a lot when I lived in Europe. It gave me a happy feeling to hear it again and the dance moves were super-fun on that one. I think I did about 6 other songs as well, but “Move Your Feet” was the only one I did more than once.

Some songs were obviously easier than others, both in terms of the complexity of the moves and the amount of effort involved. There are little symbols to tell you how hard each is as you’re scrolling through (though I didn’t realize that until I’d already done several songs). The moves were totally doable, though some songs will take some practice. I could also figure out the next move coming from the little graphics on the bottom, unlike another Wii dance game I tried which made me curse at the TV. The best thing was that they have improved the sensing dealie on this (I don’t know how you say it) so that the game has a better idea of what your body is doing. It’s still just one Wii remote in your right hand so it doesn’t really know what the rest of your body is doing, but I had much fewer misses on this than I did on Just Dance. I am not bad with the rhythm and the boogie-ing and the so-forth, but on the original Just Dance I was gettin’ down in time but it wasn’t always registering with the Wii remote. I’m glad they improved that.

So I highly recommend this Just Dance 2 Wii game/workout. You can do the Just Sweat mode like I did or you can just shake your booty in the regular mode or you can party with your friends in the various multi-player modes (see more details on the Amazon page). However you do it, you’ll have fun–unless you just really hate dancing or really hate all the bubbly music, which is entirely possible if you are one of my music snob friends. To which I say, dude, relax and enjoy yourself already.